I have to admit for the first 6 months of having a new baby the nay sayer's were winning. It was HARD! I was a new mom. Exhausted beyond exhaustion. "Easy" was NOT an easy baby (weird that's his nickname...so the opposite). He never slept, which forced me to constantly battle exhaustion, take on a slight case of depression, and for the first time of my life I had weight issues! I ALMOST accepted that this was the way it will be. I wasn't going to be back to my normal self. I kept thinking "Well, I'm a mom now."
Proud to say, our active lifestyles have stayed the same and I've found many new hobbies to enjoy as well. The only sport I haven't gotten back into is surfing. I think that might be the Mom in me now being afraid of sharks. Silly I know. The husband still surfs a lot, but I've developed a little fear. The one thing everyone has been right about is our dog. True, he is not our baby anymore.We love him; but man he can be annoying...hehe.
The trick was to bring "Easy" with us where ever we go. We make a point to expose him to as much as possible and still be safe. In his short life he's already been on an amazing houseboat adventure at
Lake Shasta with wakeboarding all around him, multiple
snowboarding trips up to
Tahoe for long stays in a cabin, hours and hours of road-trips, plane ride to Seattle, tons of beach days,
camping trips, and carted along on our many work out sessions. He's not only a trooper... he loves it! He's crazy and fun and so full of life!
I have to give credit and brag on my husband for a bit. He is my rock. My support. My coach. My number one fan! He's pretty much amazing. He is a work out freak! I love that about him, and man does he push it. At one time he even coached me in track. Wow, remembering it now...talk about fights! We both have strong personalities. I know many happy couples that have had some of their biggest arguments due to coaching from within their relationship. Whether it be running or learning to snowboard (ha that was a doozy! You stand on the edge of a cliff for the first time while he pushes you over, and then tell me I shouldn't get emotional). Anyways... He's always been there for me as a strong support. Getting me what ever it takes to persuade me to work out. Cute work out clothes, the
NikePlus system (FYI, best EVER... check it out!), you name it. And beyond that he has motivated me! Made me run at times, runs with me, watches "Easy" so I can run.

My goal used to be to lose the baby weight. I've pretty much accomplished this. I've gotten back into running full force. "Easy" has been in that jogging stroller since the day he was born. He's such a good boy. He loves it! Don't get me wrong. I wasn't one of those woman who lost the weight without difficulty and frustration. Its been a battle! A hard one. I've never been a big diet Guru. For me, its a quick short term fix. I like to indulge too much. Obviously I'm conscious about eating healthy but not crazy about it at all. For me...I've run my butt off! Hours, days, months of hard work. Its taken running 10-20 miles a week at times. I hated it at first, and didn't see results for a good 4 months. I almost gave up, but I was determined. And now... I've gotten myself back!!!! I've gotten my drive to WANT to run back... I've gotten my LOVE to run back! And now I have a new goal. Not to just lose the baby weight and tone up. NO. Now its to get in the best shape of my life! Why not? I can do it. No excuses. JUST DO IT!
19 comments:
Seriously! I feel better now than I ever have (in weight, mentally and physically). and I say why not keep it going! I love that you guys are raising Easy to love all the things you do, especially since you are both so active!
It took me a while to get back into exercising or doing anything after having the G-man too. He was a terrible sleeper for so long so I felt like a zombie for a really long time. Now that he is sleeping I am running again and I feel so much better! I bet Easy will love to do all the things that you love to do!
Whatever you guys love...he will love it too. So, keep it up!!! :)
I agree. You don't have to give up your lifestyle when you have kids (as long as it is a positive lifestyle). You get to share it with them. And its awesome!
I agree. You don't have to give up your lifestyle when you have kids (as long as it is a positive lifestyle). You get to share it with them. And its awesome!
I am fighting this right now. Before baby #3 I was addicted to exercise and in the best shape of my life. Now with 3 kids, I am finding it hard to balance everything and actually find the time.
You should be very proud of yourself. Go girl!
Thank goodness somebody said it wasn't going to be easy, because it AIN'T. Girl, I am over here starving trying to lose all this baby weight from the twins. This week I started back running and it has been nice. I know the results will come soon. I just have to continue to work at it:)
Hugs and Mocha,
Stesha
Good for you! It helps to have a supportive husband who is equally active!
Thats my girl!
I'm so proud of you momo. It's so true and I hate that people have that attitude of - "your a mom now - just settle". What do they say - misery loves company?! Now you get to encourage me along the way - love you!
I'm so proud of you momo. It's so true and I hate that people have that attitude of - "your a mom now - just settle". What do they say - misery loves company?! Now you get to encourage me along the way - love you!
What a great post. Having children DOESN'T have to change your life by making it LESS healthy contrarary to popular belief. What better way to teach our children about fitness than by involving them. I'm trying to be in great shape too......not so hard for me since I've never been particularly fit. :)
i love this blog. it sort of inspired me to get off my butt and do something about these extra 15 pounds that wont just dissapear. well they would if i actually did something about it which now i will. thanks and good luck. easy looks super cute. hope all is going great for you guys.
GOOD FOR YOU! I think this is fantastic that you have a workout buddy and better that it is hubbie! AND that he is so okay with bringing your little man. My husband doesn't want to do anything adult with the kids AT ALL!
Oh, how fitting (actually, how not fitting)! You might like to check out my entry for today - Confessions of a Former Exercise Fan :) I wish I could get the energy and interest to work out like I used to again!
Since you are there, subscribe to my blog and you can win a $100 gift card :)
Best,
Dagmar
I am having the baby weight struggle right now too. Unlike you, I don't have an athletic bone in my body. I was always thin and could eat whatever I wanted. I gained about 40 lbs with the pregnancy and now EC is 7 months old and I still have about 15 that I would like to lose. Thank goodness the weather is starting to get pretty here. I bought a jogging stroller in hopes that it will persuade me to get out and, at least, walk. I think that becoming a mom is coaxing me to take better care of myself.
Your "Easy" is precious!
Great pics and I am SOOOO ready for summer, here in the A-T-L!!
Happy WW to you!
What a great post. So inspiring to know that I have to take the control back at some point. I want to be fit but have let it go (need to give a little more time to heal though!) You are amazing and I looooove how you love your hubby! So awesome.
Post a Comment