Saturday, November 15, 2008

HELP! Advice?


Ahhh...I love this boy! He is SOOO adorable I can't even handle it sometimes. Anyways, the issue...I need to start thinking about saying bye, bye to the binky! I need help! Seriously. Its getting harder and harder the older "E" gets. He now asks for it and whines if he doesn't get it. Its just easier. Joel and I call it the cork. haha right? or lazy? I at least want to limit the binky use to naps and sleeping at night. He wants it all the time now. He has the sweetest little voice and is talking like crazy! We want to hear him. Not grunts. He really will grunt at me. 


So mommies...any advice? I've gotten the cold turkey advice. That's not me. I'm a pushover and a softy. I wouldn't be able to handle breaking his little heart. I opt not to take that approach. I've heard the very classic put the binky in an envelop together and send it to a baby because binky's are for babies speech. Nope. Can't see that working with "Easy?" Not only do I think he won't understand (almost 18 months a little on the young side?), but he's so freakin' stubborn! He'd cry all night! 

Any other ideas? Maybe I'm just looking for the easy way out? What the heck...his nickname is "Easy!" This is going to be hard isn't it? CRAP.

12 comments:

everyday mom of one

Sorry I don't have much advice to offer as Little one swapped his for his thumb at 2 months.

My sister has been through this 3 times though and with her last one it was lucky enough to get dropped in the toilet and then they just flushed it and said goodbye and that was the end.

The only thing I would say is get rid of the collection, if he has them hidden everywhere go ahead and collect them just leaving him with the one you give him.

Anonymous

saddly i can't give you much advice other than the ones you already dont want to do. but they will only cry for so long. even the stubborn ones. none of my kids were binky babies simply because i didn't want to deal with this at this stage. honestly i would go cold turkey. i dont really think theres any other way to go. just change the subject every time he asks for one. but thats just my advice. good luck hun

Tami

Only one of my kids LOVED the pacifier, and I took it away from him before he was a year old. But my sister has gone through this with 2 of her kids, and he youngest is 3 and still uses it!!! So here is just a little advice!!

I agree with taking all the extras but one away and telling him when/if he loses it there is no more for him to have. Also you can try cutting off the nipple part and then give it to him. When he looks at you like somethings wrong, tell him it is broken now and you have to throw it in the trash.

GOOD LUCK!!! I hope he gives it up easier for you.

Anna Ingalls

Not having kids yet who knows - BUT i would do what you are doing and taking it away during the day. Maybe when he is a little older 'break it' but I think he is still young. One of my friends cut the tip off and left it for her baby to stumble upon. The baby was confused and kept showing her and she kept saying - 'uh oh, broken, all done'. And her baby picked up on it and kept saying 'all done'. He got it and anytime he would want it they would both say 'all done' he got over it super quick. I think that only works when your baby really understands - 'all done'.

Tabitha Blue

Awww, he's a cutie! And I love your header photo!! I'm no help here though, my girl never liked them... and sometimes I wished she did :) I'm sure you'll get some good advice or figure it out and then be able to give good advice!

Anonymous

I have to admit I did the cold turkey thing and my daughter was actually okay with it. I had no choice as she had been using them to literally pull her hair out and it was either a bald 19 month girl or bye bye binky. I did it with the bottle as well and yes, it was a bit rough there for a while but she survived. I don't think it will send her into therapy that is for sure.

Mamatoosi

I'm kinda military meanie mommy, as you've probably surmised, so I would go cold turkey... but I wouldn't recommend that for you, miss Softie! Why don't you try substituting with the Teethifier thing I got for Parker's molars? I read on the website that it can be used to help wean babies off of regular pacifiers. Worth a shot before doing anything drastic, eh? Here's the site again: http://teethifier.com/

Anonymous

hi sweetie, brian had one for awhile, he had pneumonia when he was about 1yr, and the nurses at the hospital gave it to him, I let him keep it for about 5 months, but then one day when he was sleeping I got rid of it, and he never knew it, he looked for a bit then went on to something else, auntie

everyday mom of one

Any luck yet?? Thanks for your advice on the vacuum problems!!

The Mrs.

We are yanking the paci in Jan. Landon is two and a few months. We cut off the tip of the paci, so he's really sucking on his finger. Next we cut paci off and he keeps the frog that is attached to it! This is the whole reason we got the frog paci from wub a nub!

Toni

Oh my goodness. We have this talk daily! Hunter will be 2 Dec. 8th and I keep saying that will be the day but I don't know if I can do it!!!!

It is easier and he doesn't use it all the time - just to sleep and when he is a little fussy.

I swear how bad is it that I don't want to do it!!!!

Okay, I am going to check out the teethifier thingy...

Proud Mommy

My son was 2 1/2 before he got rid of his stash. Seriously he would have one in his mouth and one in each hand. He LOVED them!! We did go down to only at nap/bed time. Then at 2 1/2 he was really into tractors (gpa is a farmer), so we took him to the tractor store and told him he could pick out any tractor he wanted but he had to pay for it with his bag of binkies!!! We talked about it and gathered them up, he picked out his tractor and gave his bag of binkies to the clerk who promptly threw them away (I knew if I had one left, I would cave). I was prepared for the worst. He did whimper and ask for it a few times at bed time and then promptly asked to return the tractor for a refund of his binkies!!! But we got through it. I do feel your pain!!! Good Luck!!!

  © Blogger template 'BrickedWall' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008 Design by Indelible Creations May 2009

Jump to TOP